3.24.2009

Benefits of Second Language Acquisition #1

In addition to offering TIPS for learning a forieng language, I also explore with my students the benefits of second (or third) language acquisition. Here is one from the Duke Gifted Learning Center in Raleigh, North Carolina:

"Foreign language learning is much more a cognitive problem solving activity than a linguistic activity, overall. Studies have shown repeatedly that foreign language learning increases critical thinking skills, creativity, and flexibility of mind in students."

I find this particularly interesting because, for my students, walking into my class is less like walking into an English class and more like walking into a Physics or Math Class. This is because figuring out the meaning of "Quizas el motor esta roto" requires problem solving skills.

No comments: